True Religion and the Great Commandments
* "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world."- James 1:27
* Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. - Matthew 22:37-39
While we believe that passing Amendment 26 -- the personhood amendment is crucial to ending abortion in our state and giving protection under law to unborn children & their mothers, Personhood Mississippi recognizes that the roots of the culture of death run much deeper. This is a cultural, moral, and ultimately Spiritual problem that cannot be fixed through politics alone.
Therefore, the solution goes beyond the necessary changes in our laws. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation. And real salvation (regeneration) should make real changes in our lives and society.
God's word tells us that true religion is to care for widows & the fatherless (mothers in crisis pregnancy, those struggling with post-abortion remorse, and unborn children targeted for abortion would certainly qualify). Beyond these, we know that Gospel empowered Christians living out "true religion" can offer real hope:
- to orphaned, abandoned, and at risk children (150 million worldwide by some estimates);
- to people caught in human trafficking (27 million);
- to our soaring teen pregnancy & out-of-wedlock birth rate and
- to multigenerational fatherlessness and failed manhood
- to broken families which lead to broken communities, government dependency, crime, poverty, & despair
- to the humanist & messianic statism, the cultural hedonism, and the media/entertainment/educational philosophies that contribute to these problems
The order of the two great commands Jesus gave us (Love God - love your neighbors) teach us that our vertical love for God is foundational and that this love should flow out in a horizontal love for others.
If you, your church, or your family want to live out these two great commands & the love of Christ by serving and caring women in crisis; by adopting, fostering, or supporting orphaned, abandoned, or at risk children; by discipling young men & working to restore godly families as the foundation for society check out our resources page: